Call for local consultant
AgriCord is a global alliance of 12 agri-agencies mandated by farmers organisations (FOs) with a strategic and historical relationship with Farmers’ Organisations in Europe, Canada, Africa, Asia and Latin America. AgriCord puts farmers organisations at the center in global level actions with a strong capacity to manage multi-layered initiatives and processes that could comply with complex rules and requirements in a concerted way with Regional Farmers Organisations.
AgriCord has a number of ongoing programmes and given the opportunity that coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic brought to emphasise agroecology as a transitional solution to build resilience to shocks, nutrition security and boost food production with sustainable strategies accessible to all types of farmers, a new programme “Farmers Organisations Leading Research & Innovation on agroecology for sustainable food systems” is envisaged. The aim of the programme is to strengthen farmers’ and grassroots/regional/continental farmers organisations (FOs’) capacities to formulate research questions, tap into local knowledge, build partnerships, access resources, and mobilize necessary competencies to experiment and innovate at scale and thus to contribute and drive the agroecological transition for more productive and resilient food system. The programme will cover components such as: 1. advocacy; 2. methodological support, lessons learning and capitalisation; 3. coordination and overall management; 4. grassroot FO-led action-research projects; and 5. small grants to support ad-hoc small action-research projects.
The co-creation of a sound programme ready to kick off into implementation by 2022 requires preparatory work to allow more dialogue with the various stakeholders, prepare and jointly fine-tune aims, objectives, expected results and foreseen main activities for the implementation.
- The design of component 1 lobby and advocacy and the refinement and design of component 2 methodological support in direct coordination with implied parties making sure the opinion of others are integrated
- Gather data, information, write pieces, give format to action-research proposals -and other related tasks- of the whole programme action document
- Operate as a liason person with farmers organisations participating and make sure communication flows and feedback is provided in timely manner
- Accompany partners to refine their budgets to match the requirements as well as contribute to the harmonization of the overall budgeting of the programme
- Prepare the Memorandum of Understanding with the strategic partner farmers organisations at the different levels, including minimum requirements for such a partnership particularly linked to the financial aspects
- Prepare meetings, power point presentations particularly to flow the communication with partner farmers organisations at the different levels
- Construction of the institutional set up of the programme (governance, steerting committee, etc.)
- Prepare a report of the co design phase
During the co-design phase -and in the context of COVID-19 travel restrictions- most if not- all activities are foreseen to be conducted virtually.
The local consultant will work (home based) closely with the AgriCord Strategic Partnership Facilitator (SPF), Programme Manager (and other Management team members of AgriCord when required), the agroecology working group (circle), and will report to the Strategic Partnership Facilitator.
For all the activities, the consultant will receive continuous feedback and support.
Timing of the assignment
- September 15, 2021: deadline for interested consultants to submit a response to this ToR (brief motivation and a quote for 20 days of work)
- By September 20, 2021: successful candidate will be informed, and contract signed
- September-November: implementation of the consultancy
Requested time investment from the consultant: 20 days
- Preparatory meetings: 2 days
- Work on component 1 and 2: 6 days
- Gather data, preparations and conduction of meetings with partners, accompanying refinements and budget work: 6 days
- Minimum requirements: 2 days
- Construction of overall set up of programme: 2 days
- Final reporting: 2 days
- Development professional with degree in the fields of agricultural innovation and research, agriculture and rural development, agroecology, agricultural extension, social sciences, or other related topics to the call
- Eexperience of conducting R&D work in close collaboration with farmers and farmers organisations, as well as of engaging in multi-stakeholder partnerships
- Knowledge about the priorities and strategic orientation of EU and ACP in the global context
- Experienced with participatory strategic planning and program design processes
- Strong writing skills and ability to write EU programs
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills, including presentations, reports and proposals (in several languages)
- Capacity to work under pressure and be able to deliver on time respecting strict deadlines
- Experience conducting or taking part in collective interactions using main virtual tools (such as Teams, Zoom, Skype, or equivalent)
- Good facilitation and diplomatic skills, good team player but also highly autonomous and capable of organizing and implementing her or his activities as expected
- Perfect working knowledge of English and French
- Availability for the period mid-September-December 2021
Contents of the offer
Questions regarding the Terms of Reference can be sent to AgriCord, to the email address:
email@example.com. Please specify “Farmers Organisations Leading Research & Innovation on agroecology” in the email subject line.
Interested candidates should send their offer the 15th September 2021 latest, to the same email address with the same specification.
The offer should include the following:
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae, including all previous contracts during the last 2 years;
- Brief motivation (half a page) of interest in the assignment
- Expected daily fee rate, VAT inclusive (exclusive of expenses)
- Indication of guaranteed availability between mid-September-December 2021 for 20 days
Selection of the proposals
The selection of the candidate will be done by AgriCord secretariat with the assigned AgriCord working group and will be based on the following criteria:
- Relevant experience and expertise (60%)
- Availability on short term (20%)
- Financial proposal (20%)
AgriCord is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes the applications of all qualified candidates irrespective of their racial or ethnic origin, opinions or beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, health or disabilities.